Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Friday 1 March 2013

Individually Portioned Lasagnas


We've all been there; we want lasagna.... But we don't want to A) Go out, because that would require something other than sweatpants and yesterday's t-shirt and B) Make one, who needs that much lasagna at once? Well, maybe if you're an orange cat.

Solution? Individually portioned lasagnas that are so ridiculously easy to make it will make you look like a genius to your family. And who doesn't want to look like a genius? I mean, really.

I found this recipe in my notebook, which means I got it from somewhere, but I don't remember where. Also there were a lot of scribbles, so I probably changed a bunch of stuff too. I do that.

Or maybe I got the idea from somewhere and then started looking at a bunch of different recipes and put together the stuff I like. So maybe this one is mine. If it is, then yay me!

  • 6 Lasagna Noodles (I've been making my pasta, so I made the noodles to fit the ramekins)
  • 1/2 lb uncooked Sausage, casing removed
  • 2 cloves Garlic, mashed up and divided
  • 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 Tbsp fresh Parsley, finely chopped
  • Olive Oil
  • 1/2 cup Onion, finely chopped
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1/2 - 1 cup fresh Mushrooms, finely chopped (amount depends on how much you like mushrooms)
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 1 x 650mL jar Pasta Sauce of your choice
  • 12 thin slices Mozzarella Cheese
Cook noodles to al dente. Remove from water, ice for 20 seconds. 
Cut each in half and set aside.

Mix sausage meat with 1 clove garlic, 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese and the parsley.
Divide and make 4 patties, about 1/2 inch thick.

Heat oil in skillet and fry patties until golden brown on each side. You'll only need a couple minutes. Then remove from heat.

In another pan, because multi-tasking is so awesome, fry the onion with some salt and pepper. Once they become transparent add the mushrooms and remaining garlic. Cook for a couple minutes, do not allow it to burn. If it burns it'll be really gross and you won't be happy then you'll have to start all over again. Having to start all over again will make you look like less of a genius. And that's bad.

When the mushrooms are soft, add the jar of pasta sauce and the water. Mix it all about and turn down the head to low. Put the patties in and allow it all to simmer for a bit. 8 minutes-ish. You want the patty to be heated through.

While this is simmering away, pre-heat the oven to 350F.

Remove sauce from the heat and bring it over to your work station. Begin building your lasagnas. In each ramekin put a noodle, 3 spoons of sauce, then the patty, then a slice of cheese, then a bit of parmesan, then a noodle, more sauce, more cheese, the last noodle, more sauce and more cheese.

By now the oven should be heated up. 

Arrange your ramekins on a baking sheet so that any drips will be caught. 

Bake for 8 or 9 minutes, then switch the oven to broil. 

At this point you are going to want to turn on the oven light. If your oven doesn't have a light, which is just silly but my Mom's old oven didn't have a light so I know they are out there, you are going to probably want to get a flashlight. You have to watch these things very closely. 

They will be under the broiler for less time than it takes to read these instructions. Just when the cheese starts to get all bubbly and golden brown, that's when you take them out.

Be extremely careful; the ramekins are hot. This should be common sense. But just to be on the safe side I'll repeat: be extremely careful; the ramekins are hot.

This what it looks like, the ramekin cools down pretty fast; probably because it's only in the oven for 12 minutes at most.
That's my taste on it.

1 comment:

  1. Neat idea! You should tell the gang on "The Chew" ( http://www.abc.com/ ) about it. I bet they would like the idea. I'm goin' to have the wife try this!

    ReplyDelete