Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Thursday 28 March 2013

Chicken Roulade with Asparagus

So I wanted to try something new with chicken. Yes, chicken; again. We eat a lot of it. I'd like to say it's because it is healthy for you, or because it's a super tasty meat. But really, it's because we don't have a BBQ and steak without a BBQ just doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway, I found a recipe for Stuffed Chicken Roulade and figured I'd give it a go. The original recipe can be found here.

I mostly followed it as written, but since my computer is a good 20 steps away from my work area, and I didn't bother to write it down -- actually that isn't true; I did write it down, but then I couldn't find the paper I had written it on because my desk has lots of papers on it, and I felt like cooking and not like looking for the paper; so I winged it (wung it?) and just went off of what I could remember.

Here's what happened in my kitchen. The recipe below is for 2 full chicken breasts or a total of 4 Roulade(s).

  • 2 Chicken Breasts, boneless and skinless
  • Salt and Pepper, to season
  • 8 slices Smoked Prosciutto
  • 8 Asparagus spears, woody ends chopped, and trimmed to about 4" in length. (I also peeled them, not because it makes a difference, but because I really like my new peeler.)
  • 1/4 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled

Pre-heat the oven to broil on high. Raise your rack so that it is about 4-5 inches from the heat. Prepare a baking pan with foil and spray with cooking oil.

Slice each breast in half horizontally, so you have two fillets (not two long strips). You may want to put them between two pieces of parchment paper and bash 'em a bit to get them to 1/4" thick. If it has the finger attached, then remove that, it just gets in the way, and you can use it to make something else later. Or fry it up in some garlic butter while you are waiting. Very tasty.

Lay the breasts smooth side down, season with salt and pepper.

Put down 2 slices prosciutto. Put two spears of asparagus sideways so that they stick out on one end, then add about a Tbsp of the cheese.

Roll each one up snugly and place on pan, seam side down. You can skewer them if you want, but it isn't all that necessary.

Spray lightly with cooking oil (not non-stick spray, that would be gross). If you don't have one of those nifty little oil pump sprayer things, just brush it very lightly with oil. Then season the outside with salt and pepper.

Place in oven, directly under the heat. They'll cook in a surprisingly short amount of time. The recipe says 8-10 minutes, but after 10 minutes mine were still a touch pink, so I put them in for another 5. Turn the tray halfway through cooking.

I also (as you may have noticed) forgot to include the Dijon mustard in the stuffing process, probably because I didn't have the recipe instructions right in front of me.

So I made a Honey Dijon sauce and drizzled it over top of each Roulade after plating. The picture doesn't show it, because frankly it wasn't until we sat down that I even realized I had forgotten.

To make a simple Honey Dijon, simply mix equal parts Dijon mustard and Honey, then adjust to taste.
















That's my taste on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment