Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Friday 8 March 2013

Way Funner Macaroni and Cheese

The kids were home from school today. Not because The Daughter got kicked off the bus, but because it was a professional day. Generally these days are hectic. The Baby demanding attention, the Kids running around making it impossible for The Baby to sleep, and a chorus of "When's lunch?" "I'm hungry." "We don't have any food." Which is not true. There is always food. They just may not like it.

So today, I kicked them out. We have tons of snow right now and it was relatively warm out, so outside they went. Not an easy task, even with a playground right across the street.

I had planned on just making sandwiches for lunch, but then I got hit with the kitchen stick. I had to make something awesome; and I had just bought the ramekins ... so they couldn't go to waste.

Every kid likes Mac & Cheese, so here's my "Way funner" (as The Daughter put it) spin on an old classic.

This will make enough for 3 ramekins.

Cook 1 1/2 cups small shell pasta to al dente, then drain and set aside.

Pre-heat the oven to 350F.

Tenderize some broccoli. You'll only need about a 1/2 cup, so for this I just boiled it a pan. As soon as it starts to change colour, remove it from the heat, and drain. It's really important that the pieces are small.

Grate 1/3 cup of cheese.

Cut 3 large slices of sandwich mean in half, so you have 6 pieces. I used slices of roast beef. It's super low in salt and fat and the kids love it.

Set out your ramekins and layer as follows:

  • Piece of meat
  • 2-3 large spoons of pasta
  • Cheese
  • Piece of meat
  • Pasta and broccoli bits
  • Cheese
Place your ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes. Then switch the oven over to broil. After another minute or two, take them from the oven, sprinkle over some Parmesan cheese and return them to the oven for another minute or so, until the cheese starts to turn brown. You'll have to keep an eye on them, because they can burn. Fast.

Remove them from the oven and set on small plates. The ramekins will be very hot, so ensure your family is aware of it. For younger kids (7 and under) use a knife to cut it up and warn them (again) that the dish is hot.  

These are relatively plain, so feel free to season them as you wish. But they are perfect for picky eaters, not to mention the idea of getting a whole dish to themselves is pretty cool.



That's my taste on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment