Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Sunday 17 March 2013

Actual Chicken Parmesan

I've never actually had Chicken Parmesan. I've heard of it, but I've never eaten it.

On Saturday we had a friend over for dinner, which I was supposed to cook; but my back hurt so badly I could barely stand. So The Man went shopping. We decided if he couldn't find something quick at the store, we would just order Chinese food. He brought home salad and asparagus. And pre-packaged chicken parmesans in a box.

You cook from frozen in the oven for 20 minutes or so.  I had no idea.

I was a little disappointed, I had always heard people rave about this dish, but I didn't think they were all that special. I expressed as much.

That is when our friend turned to me and said, "This isn't actually how they are supposed to be done."

Ohhhhhh. Things were starting to make more sense. We discussed how they were supposed to be done, and so today -- being Sunday -- I went to my Parents' house and we had actual chicken parmesan there.

I was rather surprised at how simple they are to make.

I'm not sure what is going to happen to the rest of the box of pre-made packets in our freezer. My Mom said she would take them, but I don't know if they'll eat those after they have had these.

So here it is, the thing that should have happened yesterday, but happened today instead.




  • 3-4 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup Milk
  • 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive Oil
  • 6-8 slices Mozzarella Cheese, sliced lengthwise. It's a good idea to use a cheese slicer so they don't get too thick.
  • 3/4 cup Marinara Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
On medium-high heat a couple of Tbsp oil in a pan, and pre-heat the oven to 350F.
Prepare a baking sheet with foil and a bit of oil so there won't be any sticking. Nobody likes stuck breast on a pan. Nobody.

Pound each breast to 1/2" thick.

Whisk your egg and milk together in a bowl and set aside. In a second bowl mix your bread crumbs with salt and pepper to taste.

Run each breast through the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs. Press the crumbs on to make a nice thick coating.

Fry the breasts for a couple minutes on each side to get a nice golden brown colour.

Arrange the breasts on the baking sheet. Put two slices of Mozzarella on each breast then put a couple good spoons of sauce over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake for about 25 minutes, until chicken is done and juices run clear.

Serve over pasta or with a side of greens.


Interestingly, as The Man was shopping, he was thinking, "She's gonna try these, then she's going to see how she can make them better."

I think I did.

That's my taste on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment