Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Carrot Dill Soup

Soup is one of those things for a dreary day. There is something about them that is just comforting. Chicken noodle when you are sick, spring vegetable as a great starter, you get the idea.

I asked The Man to pick up some carrots for me, mostly so I could make baby food. He came home with a 10lb bag of carrots.

10 pounds. Of carrots.

I was at a loss as to what to do with them. So I made soup. It turned out pretty well.

You'll need:

  • 5 cups Carrots, chopped
  • 3/4 cup Onion, diced
  • 1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/4 cup Butter
  • 2 tetra packs Chicken Stock
  • 1 cup Rice, uncooked
  • 1/4 cup Fresh Dill
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
In a large pan, cook the onion and mushrooms with the butter until tender. Then set aside and allow to cool.

In a large pot, pour both tetra packs of chicken stock, add the carrots. When they start to get tender, add the cup of uncooked rice and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to simmer, add the mushrooms, onions and remaining butter. Allow to simmer for about 45 minutes until the carrots become really soft.

Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. At this point you can use an immersion blender or transfer to an upright blender and blend until smooth.

Stir in dill, add salt and pepper to taste.

This makes a very mild soup that is thick and sweet; even The Baby liked it.

If you want something creamy, add cream or whole milk to taste. 


That's my taste on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment