Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Thursday 7 February 2013

Bashed Lemon and Dill Chicken

I was going to be making some things that were in the freezer today, but apparently when The Man says, "You cook whatever you want." He really means, "If I don't want what you tell me what you are making, I'm going to vote against it, even though I loved the recipe when you made it before." And bring up unfounded concerns that The Son will have problems with it as well. (What's a little tummy trouble when the food is that good?)

In all fairness, his objection did save us from leftovers; and allowed me to be a bit more inventive than tossing some stuff in a pan. And I guess he does have work tomorrow, so tummy troubles would be unpleasant.

Once I got past my sleep-deprived irritation over the situation and found his objection to be completely reasonable, out came the thinking cap.

So, we're having chicken. Again. How do you feed two adults and a nine-year-old with just two chicken breasts? You get creative.

Today we're having bashed lemon and dill chicken; the recipe is out of my head. Just like the Sour Cherry Sauce was from my head. Ooooo two in a row. You lucky, lucky people.

You will need:

  • 2 Chicken Breasts
  • Sea Salt
  • Cracked Pepper
  • Zest of 1 Lemon
  • About 1 tsp of Dill
  • Olive Oil
Get your pan good and hot, and put in 1-2 Tbsp olive oil.

Lay a piece of parchment paper, twice the length of your board out.
Put the chicken on the paper and season with the salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the dill and lemon zest.
Drag the breast all around and make sure that both sides are nicely seasoned.

Fold the paper up over your chicken, like a little blanket.
Using a rolling pin, smack it a bit. This will bash in the flavour and thin the breasts a little so that cooking goes nice and fast.

Put the breasts in the pan. Cook a few minutes on each side until nicely golden. They shouldn't take very long to cook, and you don't want to overcook them, so if you feel like you need to check, cut open the thickest area and have a peek.


For our dinner, I've sliced the breasts up and laid them on a bed of lemon couscous with grilled carrots and peppers. Brilliant.

That's my taste on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment