Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Super Easy Biscotti

Biscotti is a scary thing. It's a cookie, but then it's baked again and then again. It's a tough thing to jump right into; especially when you have kids who are all like, "You're making cookies?!"

If you have never made biscotti before, my advice is this: find two hours where you won't have any interruptions, or at the very least minimal ones. During this time review the recipe once or twice, get all your ingredients ready, and take it one step at a time.

Here is the recipe I use. And I love it!


  • 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp extract of choice (almond, anise, lemon, etc.)

Preheat oven to 375F, line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Blend all the ingredients in a medium bowl. The dough will become very sticky. Very sticky.

*I keep a small bowl of water on the side to dip my hands in when handling the dough. I have found that it doesn't change the recipe all that much and it makes it far easier to work with.*

Divide the dough into two equal pieces.  Form each piece into a log close to the length of the cookie sheet and flatten to about 1/2 inch thick.

Bake for 18-25 minutes, (22 for those of you in Calgary, AB) until edges become golden brown.

Remove from oven and place to cool on cooling rack.

When cookie log is cool enough to handle safely, cut into 1/2 inch strips; across or diagonally. I set the ends that are too small on the side and let my kids at them later. They are too small to be re-baked.

Put the cookie pieces on their side on the baking sheet and return to the oven for another 5 or 6 minutes, the bottoms will be lightly toasted.

Turn the cookies over and return to the oven for another 5 or 6 minutes.

Allow to cool completely.

It's as easy as that. True story.

Ready for some variations?

  • Instead of a Tbsp of extract, add a different spice, to taste. This will colour the cookie a bit and it will reduce the stickiness of the dough in the beginning, but not by much. 
  • Melt some chocolate to drizzle over the top, or give the bottoms a little bath.
  • Add half a cup of dried berries or chopped nuts for some extra texture. 
  • Add 1-1 1/2 Tbsp fresh zest.
I especially love this recipe because the cookies aren't as tooth-breaking as some of the ones I have tried from the store. Even if you don't want to have coffee or tea with these, you can still eat them!

I use chopped up almonds and 1 Tbsp of almond extract. They come out so delicate and full of texture.

That's my taste on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment