Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Wednesday 16 January 2013

A New Spin on Hummus

I'm not a fan of Hummus. I don't like the smell, I don't really like the taste, and the texture ... so awful.

The Man, however, loves it. A lot.

So being the wonderful companion that I am, I made it for him.

We forgot to grab Tahini, so I had to improvise. Which was the best thing that could ever have happened.

Asian Sesame Hummus:

  • 2 x 19oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
  • 2/3 cup Kraft Asian Sesame Dressing
  • 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
  • 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and halved
  • 1 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil


Put it all in the blender and beat the tar out of it.

Serve.

The Asian Dressing takes the place of the Tahini which is what I suspect gives hummus the hummus-y texture. You can probably reduce the dressing to half a cup, but I really like it. Your call.

This makes a double batch, so it's great for parties and whatnot. It also freezes beautifully, so you can always squirrel some away for another day.

I was really pleased with how this turned out. It's very smooth, more like a paste than the store-bought stuff. And it's really tasty. Which surprised me.

My sister recommended using dried chickpeas and then soaking them so that you don't get all the preservatives that are in the canned variety. I'll try that next time.

When I remember to get a picture, I'll put one up.

That's my taste on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment