Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Sunday 19 April 2015

Lasagna Soup -- In the Crock Pot.

If you are anything like me, the idea of making a pasta sauce or a tomato sauce or a red sauce from scratch is beyond possible. You can do everything right, find the freshest produce, use the best quality seasoning, let it simmer and simmer ... and simmer. Then....

Nothing but disappointment. Bland tomato-flavoured glop. Booo.

If you aren't like me, then I'm sure your sauce is delightful. But like I said, ages ago, this is for the people that are like me.

Anyway, here it is Lasagna Soup. I pulled this recipe off of Facebook some time ago, sadly I didn't catch where it came from or who originally posted it. I wish it was mine, perhaps I'll make some changes to it, 'cause why wouldn't I? Plus, it's in the crock pot. 15 minutes of my time in the morning and dinner is ready for that evening. Win-win.

Here's what you need:
  • 1-2 lbs raw ground beef, thawed
  • 1 onion, chopped (totally optional, you can replace with onion powder if you don't have an onion)
  • 10 3/4oz can tomato soup
  • 14 1/2oz canned tomatoes, chopped or diced
  • 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 chicken bouillon cubes
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 8 oz Ricotta Cheese (I always forget this, and it's just as good without it)
  • 8 lasagna noodles, uncooked broken into pieces *
  • Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
* Be sure that your lasagna noodles are not the oven ready type. I used those and they turned to mush. Super sad face.

Here's what to do:
  • Combine onions, tomato soup, canned tomatoes and tomato sauce and put in the crock pot.
  • Add all of the spices, water and bouillon cubes.
  • Give it a good mix.
Everything but the noodles and meat.
  • Spread the broken uncooked lasagna noodle pieces all over.
  • Crumble raw ground beef over top.
  • Cover. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or High for 4-5 hours. 
    • Depending on your pot, it may not even take that long.
With the meat, ready to be covered.
  • About half an hour before the soup is done, stir in the Ricotta Cheese.
  • Serve with shredded Mozzarella Cheese on top.
Try with ground turkey or replace the meat with tofu for a vegetarian option.

So the pictures are less than amazing, but I assure you the soup is fabulous.

I'm glad to be back and happy to be posting!

That's my Taste on it. I'd love to hear yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment