Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Friday 16 August 2013

The Great Onion Journey

I have never really been able to grow plants. Or keep them alive. I don't know why. I can grow a cactus from a seed, but if you give me an actual plant it'll be dead within a week.

Maybe because cacti require very little attention. If you forget to water them for a month, that's okay! You just give them a whole bunch of water and you forget about them. Probably for another month. They are like snakes, flora snakes. Prickly flora snakes.

Anyway, I was told that if you cut green onions down to the white, then let them sit in water, they'll just grow. That seemed pretty low maintenance, so I figured I'd give it a go.

The results were actually quite surprising. So much so, that I wanted to share this with you. No recipe today, today is more about the journey.

So here it is, a photographic journey of my green onions.

July 2

July 3

July 4 

July 5

July 6

July 7

July 8

July 9

July 10

July 11
July 12
To cut them down, I held the greens together and using a sharp knife sliced through the bunch all at once. Then I just put the pot back in the window and let them grow again. And I made biscuits.

July 14

July 16

July 17

July 18
July 19


Surprising results indeed; especially the part where I didn't kill them.

Each picture was taken as close to the same time, around noon(ish). I couldn't believe how much they grew each day. I recommend you try it for yourself. As you can see it only takes a week.

I didn't really need to put them into a pot with soil, but I felt kinda bad for them; considering my track record, I thought that the one plant that actually grew deserved a pot.

The onion taste (in my opinion) became stronger. I just cut them down again, and found that they had a much more prominent taste. I have also noticed that they are growing much slower. Unless I'm making the biscuits or stuffed potatoes, I don't really use green onions all that often, so this rate seems to be suiting me nicely.

Here it is mid-August and I am on my third cut down of the onions. I have a second set growing in a small baby food jar. Y'know, just in case.

It is important to note, that I have these in a south-east facing window, and perhaps because of that they do require water almost every day.

That's my taste on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment