Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Wednesday 2 September 2015

Cauliflower Biscuits

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we all love biscuits.  There is nothing more delightful than a fresh out of the oven biscuit. I mean honestly, who doesn't love them?

So with the trends of gluten-free and low carbs, it's kinda difficult to indulge in these delectable little morsels without feeling guilty.

Unless you are using cauliflower. Who knew? Evidently a lot of people. And now, so do I.

My mom sent me this recipe from "Cooking Light". They even have this great video showing how they do it.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 Cauliflower head, leaves removed
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, the sharper the better
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Here's what you'll do:
  • Break up the cauliflower and steam until tender
  • Once tender, smash it up with the garlic in the food processor or blender
  • Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the whole eggs, cheese, yogurt, salt and pepper and mix together
  • In a separate bowl whisk egg whites until they are firm
  • Fold egg whites into the cauliflower mixture
  • Grease up a muffin tin very well
  • Fill each muffin cup to the top with the mixture
  • Bake at 400F for about 25 minutes or until golden brown
Just out of the oven

A couple of notes:
  • When I make these again, I'll try roasting the cauliflower instead of steaming it. We found that they were far too moist. Don't get me wrong, they were super tasty, but I would have liked a little more of a biscuit texture to them.
  • I used aged cheddar cheese and still didn't find that there was much cheddar flavour to them. I'm a huge fan of sharp cheese so I might look for something with a little more bite the next time.
  • I made these exactly as the recipe instructed, and after baking, despite having greased up the muffin tin, they stuck and didn't come out nicely. That made me sad. Like super sad. My plan is to keep playing around with the recipe to figure out where I went wrong before serving these to guests.
That's My Taste On It!

(Thanks to my Mom for sending me the recipe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment