Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Thursday 11 April 2013

Crisp Zucchini Potato Patties

I don't really feel all that funny today, so this post will have a lot less of the usual wit. Maybe it's the weather. Here it is, middle of April, and we are in the depths of a snow storm. The weather for tomorrow? More snow. Saturday? Snow. Sunday? Snow. I hate winter. It dampens my humor.

Anyway, I've had a craving for zucchini lately, but I just didn't know what to do with it. It's not easy to get kids to eat it. It isn't exactly the funnest vegetable. It's certainly not celery. Or carrots (still working through that ten pound bag.)

So I decided to disguise it. Because I'm clever. And sneaky.

After much searching and googling and cookbook flipping, here's what happened in my kitchen.
  • 2 medium-large Baking Potatoes, peeled
  • 1 medium Zucchini
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/3 cup Flour
  • 1 Green Onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, finely diced
  • 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Pepper, freshly cracked is best. I used a mixture of pink and white peppercorns
  • Vegetable Oil
Using a regular cheese grater, shred your potatoes and zucchini. You'll want to get as much moisture as possible out. I used paper towel and scrunched it up.

Once your shreddings are pretty dry, add the eggs, flour, onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper. Stir until well blended, or use your hands to make sure it is mixed really well.

Heat enough oil for frying in a large skillet over medium high heat. Form patties with the mixture, about 1/2 inch thick. Fry them in the oil, you may have to do them in batches so they don't crowd together, for 2-3 minutes per side, until they are nicely browned. 

Remove from pan and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.

I served mine with a warm corn salsa and a chipotle mayo. The mayo was actually just Miracle Whip with some Chipotle spice mixed in. But it was fantastic.




That's my taste on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment