Whenever possible I will cite the source; if you find your recipe on here, please email me so I can give you the credit!

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Country Chicken Sausage Patties

As you all know, I received a new mixer for my birthday this year. There are about a dozen little attachments that are available to buy for this wonderful machine.

With the gift cards I received, I purchased the Food Grinder attachment. It can grind veggies, cheese and meat. Today I used it to grind chicken thighs into a wonderful sausage meat.

I had no idea that there were so many different types of sausage out there. I just assumed sausage was sausage. Apparently that is not so. I don't have casing, so I wasn't able to make actual sausages, instead I made them into patties.

Here's what happened:

  • 3 pounds Chicken Thighs, bone out, skin on (or 3 pounds preground chicken)
  • 3 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp Pepper, freshly cracked
  • 3/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 3/4 tsp Ground Ginger
  • 3/4 tsp Dried Sage
  • 3/4 tsp Onion Powder
  • 3/4 tsp Dried Thyme
If you are grinding your own meat, cut the chicken into pieces that will fit your grinder and grind though on the course setting. 

Add remaining ingredients to ground meat and mix well.

Run mixture through grinder a second time on the finer setting. (At this point, you can freeze the ground mixture, provided you are working with fresh meat. If your meat was pre-frozen, you'll have to cook it through before freezing it again.)

Form meat into patties, this should get you 12 - 14 medium sized patties. Put the patties on a parchment covered sheet, cover and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes; this will help them firm up and keep their shape while handling.

Heat a bit of oil in a pan over medium heat, add the patties and cook through. Cooking time will depend on how thick your patties are.

That's my taste on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment